Ukrainian women are invincible. Despite all the trials of fate, they continue to fight for the right to live and help the defenders. Today we are talking to Olena Ivanova, a professional singer, guitar, and pop vocal teacher who lives in Belgium and does her best to keep the Ukrainian nation free. Together with her colleagues, she continues to popularize our culture. Dear friends, this is a rather short conversation with a poem that has been imprinted forever in our hearts…
- Olena, thank you for joining this issue. Let’s start with your creative achievements.
- I am a singer, a Ukrainian, and a mother of three very talented children. These are probably my main achievements. In Chernigiv, I sang in the rock-band «Lena Ivanova» for twelve years. I am a winner of national and international competitions and festivals. In 2019, we took third place at the All-Ukrainian festival “Chervona Ruta”. We managed to shoot one professional music video. As for the present, I spent twelve days in a bomb shelter with my family and three children, where I wrote many poems and a new lyric for the Ukrainian anthem. We sang it as a prayer every day with our children and continue to do so.
- What was your main goal in your speech at the European Parliament?
- The main goal is to get help for our defenders, namely weapons. The enemy outnumbers us, so it is very important for us to have the most modern and powerful weapons. We are fewer in number, but we are defending not only our land, our homes, and our families, but also the FREEDOM of other countries! The truth and God are on our side. I believe that Ukraine will win. Because we are not alone. We are together! The entire civilized world supports us. I am very grateful to the Poles and Belgians who are helping Ukrainians. I am grateful to all the countries that are with us.
- Who supports you in your volunteer work today?
- In fact, a lot of people support us today. Among those I would like to single out is the Belgian poet Alain Vancloster, who visited Ukraine five years ago and wrote a collection of poems about Chornobyl. Now in Belgium, he helps me organize concerts and translated three of my songs into Dutch, so I sing in Ukrainian, English, French, and this language. Sometimes he performs with me for Ukrainian refugees or at charity events. He helped me organize a fundraiser for the mortar battery of the 119th separate territorial defense brigade in Chernihiv. To be continued…
- Olena, thank you very much for continuing to talk about Ukraine and helping our defenders, how do you overcome negative psycho-emotional states?
- For two months we were in a severe depressive state. At that time, my experience in psychology helped me. First of all, you can’t be isolated, but you should be alone sometimes. I also resumed the practice of “morning pages,” which is when you wake up and write out a stream of thoughts on three pages. This frees the brain from unnecessary things. I’m also learning to listen to my body again. If I’m tired, I do some “holy idleness”. I am sure that even 20 minutes a day can restore my mood and strength. I have also resumed the “practice of gratitude,” when in the evening you have to tell the Universe or God what you are grateful for today. Then we pray with the children, because prayer heals.
I want to share my experience with people and help them not only with songs. That’s why I am currently studying at the Ukrainian Institute of Positive Cross-Cultural Psychotherapy and Management. I want to help Ukrainians through counseling and music. I think that my songs, which are still positive, will become even more healing. I wish all Ukrainians optimism and faith.
Glory to Ukraine.
Dislike the war! Because the children have grown old…
And lost their childhood forever.
But, thank God, they managed to survive
In this bloody and shameful war.
Not all of them… Fate and faith has saved some,
But in their memory forever lives the sound of sirens
And the howling of many who lost beloved ones…
And therefore they hate the bloody EXECUTIONERS.
Infinite longing for the happy past,
the peaceful, carefree flow of lazy crazy days.
We have not forgotten our homeland,
Although we scattered around the world.
Someone at home, someone else growing up somewhere,
Like flowers bloom to the sun through asphalt – from scratch…
And every day we will pray from now on,
So that babies may smile in PEACE,
And our enemies lay down the weapons
And away they go, like melting snow,
May God free all hearts from pain,
Give us peace and silence, silence all around!
Life is no chess game, no move can be reversed.
And there is hope – for evil will disappear.
It stings like a wound in my chest, because never again,
Never, it will never be the same again.
The power of silent ancient souls has awakened!
Such a great sacrifice!!! Not for nothing!
Ukraine will be reborn, getting stronger and stronger –
My growing faith is like a rock in my breast breaking free!
YouTube: Lena Ivanova-Singer;
Facebook: Lena Ivanova (Чернігів)